"I think we ought to read only the kind of books that wound and stab us. If the book we are reading doesn't wake us up with a blow on the head, what are we reading it for? ...we need the books that affect us like a disaster, that grieve us deeply, like the death of someone we loved more than ourselves, like being banished into forests far from everyone, like a suicide. A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us." -Kafka
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
hey other me. I really liked it, not just because of the way the words flowed but also because of the visuals. we talked about it a bit in our harkness how maybe the spaces represent Father's mental absence and Mother's apparent desertion(i forget did she die or leave or just give up?). also, i thought it was really cool how he was able to create words by chopping up others--which is how i did my black-out poetry. :)
ReplyDeleteof all Foer's books I enjoyed reading this one the most. I liked other ones probably more but I just really had fun reading it. Flying through the pages and seeing Street of Crocodile's in the pages just made it a fun read. I'm a big fan!
ReplyDelete