Regardless, I am really looking forward to this class, and to working with you all. Ciao.
"I think we ought to read only the kind of books that wound and stab us. If the book we are reading doesn't wake us up with a blow on the head, what are we reading it for? ...we need the books that affect us like a disaster, that grieve us deeply, like the death of someone we loved more than ourselves, like being banished into forests far from everyone, like a suicide. A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us." -Kafka
Friday, June 17, 2011
Hey peoples. So I guess I'm probably the last one in, huh? Well, my computers finally back from the shop, so here we go. Personally, I have read next to nothing written by Foer, and have had very little contact with him. The only experience I have with him is Dan Puckowski's Speaker's Forum piece from Everything is Illuminated, but I can say that I found the language and character in it amazing. It was the first book in years that tempted me to read it for pleasure, which I don't often do anymore, and that was only from a single spoken excerpt. I'm sorry to say I never did read it, but combined with everything I have heard about Foer so far, it has gotten me very excited for this class. The Symposium is something I have wanted to get involved with since freshman year, and I think that last years class did a superlative job. they managed to keep the school interested with numerous activities, and always kept Hornby in the school's eye by making continual announcements and presentations. I think that if we are to be a successful class, we should try and do at least as much.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.