Monday, June 6, 2011

Introductory Foer Symposium Post (Jason)

I am really looking forward to studying Jonathan Safran Foer with all of you next year. Although I have not read any of Foer’s works, I have heard some particularly intriguing things about his writing style. The small exposure that I have had to Foer came when Dan Puckowski read a memorable excerpt from “Everything is Illuminated” for the Speakers Forum. Last year’s symposium class really revolutionized the symposium experience for the other grades and made Hornby's visit meaningful for everyone, and it would be very nice if we could continue their efforts in that regard. Next year, it will be great to study Foer’s works for an entire semester and then hear him speak about himself and his writing at the end of our studies, in addition to teaching other members of the school about him. Reading a book is one thing, but hearing an author speak about his/her writing process is a completely different (and very special) opportunity offered here at KO.

I hope everyone has a great summer.

Jason

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.