Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Borges First Thoughts

I have to admit that as I am beginning to read Borges, I am realizing that he is not particularly my favorite type of author. It's not as if I hated this first story. In fact, I found that Borges is truly interesting in his philosophical thoughts and paradoxes, and the cities he constructes definitely remind me of some of those in Invisible Cities. Even though all of this certainly caught my attention, I am not finding Ficciones to be, so far at least, as captivating as our two summer reading books. I have nothing in particular against Borges or his writing style, it is mostly just that when I pick up a book, I prefer what I read to have at least somewhat of a plot. However, I am quickly learning to accept that Borges' writing seems to be more in the form of an essay, as Ms. Schieffelin said, rather than a novel. Hopefully some of the other stories in the future will hold a little bit more interest for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.