"I think we ought to read only the kind of books that wound and stab us. If the book we are reading doesn't wake us up with a blow on the head, what are we reading it for? ...we need the books that affect us like a disaster, that grieve us deeply, like the death of someone we loved more than ourselves, like being banished into forests far from everyone, like a suicide. A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us." -Kafka
Wednesday, September 7, 2011
Borges
Borges is bizarre. He's like Calvino but he has a set plot and I can comprehend where he was going with it, and it wasn't a problem to get the introduction to Tlon or the end of the story. What was difficult was the actual description. His language and description, ideas blatantly flying in the face of possibility, language and philisosphy twisted in odd ways, its all different from anything I've seen. I had to pause after every paragraph to just think about it and try and wrap my head around it, and there was more than one time that I failed and just moved on. It was interesting, and there were some themes and ideas and connections that I would like to hit on in class, but it was just difficult to understand and imagine what he was trying to say. If the rest of his stories are like this, the reading is going to take me quite a while, but oddly, I do want to read more and find out what else he has.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.