Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Maybe it's just me...


...but I just finished tonight's story, and I'm not really sure what I just read. After reading Jamie's post below where she said "Tlon, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius" is an essay it started to make a bit more sense to me. Is this fiction? (I would think so--the book is called Ficciones after all.) Is it an essay? Is it a fictitious essay? I've read Borges before (in Spanish) and he never ceases to confuse me. I can see the connections to Invisible Cities just because of the different type of writing style (which is probably why Foer likes it so much), but Borges and I aren't clicking---at least not yet. Hopefully this will make more sense after we discuss the story in class tomorrow. 

As far as what I know about Borges already, I'll list the four major themes of his stories we always talk about in Spanish since no one else has done it yet--
  1. Travel through time
  2. A story within a story
  3. Contamination of reality by dreams
  4. Dopplegangers
Maybe some of these will come up in discussions we have in class over the next couple weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.