Thursday, September 15, 2011

Where the English language falls short

Here's the list of words that don't exist in the English language that we were talking about in class today. 


And the Portuguese word is Saudade (which might've been the one Michelle found, I forget).
Here is a definition I liked, because it seems very Borgesian:
The famous 'saudade' of the Portuguese is a vague and constant desire for something that does not and probably cannot exist, for something other than the present, a turning towards the past or towards the future; not an active discontent or poignant sadness but an indolent dreaming wistfulness.[4]
http://en.citizendium.org/wiki/Saudade

2 comments:

  1. Those words are amazing! i'm personally a huge fan of words that don't exist in english, but are still fun and applicable in our lives. This post inspired me to go looking around for some more (while avoiding spanish homework), and I have to say the one that made me laugh the most was "Tartle (Scottish) – The act of hesitating while introducing someone because you’ve forgotten their name."

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.