So I was just sooo excited and in love while I was reading his poetry that I felt like I needed to share my delight and I figured theres no better place then the blog. Although a somewhat pointless post I just needed to express my LOVE to someone. Thats all for now.... I hope everyone else has the same appreciation for AMICHAI as I do!!
"I think we ought to read only the kind of books that wound and stab us. If the book we are reading doesn't wake us up with a blow on the head, what are we reading it for? ...we need the books that affect us like a disaster, that grieve us deeply, like the death of someone we loved more than ourselves, like being banished into forests far from everyone, like a suicide. A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us." -Kafka
Monday, September 26, 2011
I LOVE AMICHAI
I felt a need to post just to express my extreme LOVE of Amichai. I have never been much of a poetry buff; however, I LOVE THE POETRY OF AMICHAI. For some reason I just really enjoy reading his poems. His writing is sooooo beautiful and his messages and themes and symbols are so interesting. I cant help but read outloud and multiple times in order to enjoy his pieces to their fullest. The words just roll off my tongue and I find them all really beautiful. I am sooooo excited to read more of his work and veryyyy happy that we are getting the chance to learn about him.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Mary, I totally agree with you! there's something about Amichai that makes him much more interesting to read than other poets we've had to read in the past. I think the last poet we had to read was Gwendolyn Brooks, and I think on a scale of 1-10 in my brain, Gwendolyn Brooks is like a 3.5 and Amichai is a 9. I feel like his writing is so relatable and he just says things so well. I was surprised how much I enjoyed reading the poems and I'm excited to talk about them in class tomorrow! My favorite was "From Summer or Its End." What did you like best?
ReplyDeleteI was just going on this blog to post almost the exact same thing that Mary did, so i figured I would just comment rather than waste blog space...
ReplyDeleteI AM IN LOVE!!! to be completely honest, i usually hate poetry. the annual poetry unit where we discuss whitman, ginsberg, poe, or whoever else is supposed to be important bores the life out of me. but i read way more than the assigned 5 poems for tonight because i am just obsessed! for some reason the way that amachai talks and describes some things makes me think of caroline lange. i have no idea why, but reading amachai inspired me to look at caroline's blog. his words make me stop and reread every line just because it sounds so perfect that i need to hear it again... i (usually) hate poetry, but i truly am in love.
ditto, ditto, ditto!!! i spent my free time this weekend reading through the packet of poetry and my favorite of his poems is "for my birthday". I'm kind of in love with that poem. my favorite books and poems are the ones that say the things i can't find the words for, and amichai does just that.
ReplyDeletewhen JSF comes in January, i'm going to have a hard time figuring out whether i want to talk about amichai or borges with him...