"I think we ought to read only the kind of books that wound and stab us. If the book we are reading doesn't wake us up with a blow on the head, what are we reading it for? ...we need the books that affect us like a disaster, that grieve us deeply, like the death of someone we loved more than ourselves, like being banished into forests far from everyone, like a suicide. A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us." -Kafka
Thursday, September 8, 2011
Thoughts on Borges
When I first started reading Tlon, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius, I was suprised at how easy it was to read and understand. Previously flipping though the book, I expected it to hard to decipher, almost like the challenging books we read last year. (Such as Walden.) As I read more, my prediction came true as the easy reading and clear storyline turned into complicated descriptions of Tlon. I am a little hesitant to read more Borges because I like stories with clear storylines and plots, such as Patrimony. I think that's probably why I enjoyed Patrimony more than Invisible Cities. Invisble Cities and Tlon both share a unconventional form: they do have storylines but veer off into complicated detail. Hopefully Borges will not be too longwinded and intricate in all his stories. Nevertheless, I am still excited to read Ficciones, even if it means muddling through the hard parts!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.