Although I found the reading difficult, as a whole I enjoyed the first night of Borges!
"I think we ought to read only the kind of books that wound and stab us. If the book we are reading doesn't wake us up with a blow on the head, what are we reading it for? ...we need the books that affect us like a disaster, that grieve us deeply, like the death of someone we loved more than ourselves, like being banished into forests far from everyone, like a suicide. A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us." -Kafka
Wednesday, September 7, 2011
Borges Reflection
It was refreshing to read a Borges story without having to look up a voluminous number of words (like I have to for the Spanish versions). Although the story was confusing, it definitely made sense in the context of our recent discussions, especially about the importance (or lack-thereof) of language and the written word. Both Invisible Cities and "Tlon, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius" are translations of the originals, which adds yet another layer to the idea of words and how they should be perceived. Another interesting notion is the fact that in Tlon all books are written by a single author, while the forty volumes that illustrate Tlon were written by successive disciples.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.