Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Borges First Impression

After finishing Borges I see many parallels between his writing and that of Calvino in invisible cities. I almost jumped out of my seat in excitement when I saw the words "eventually eliminate speech altogether" (Borges 20) in regard to his father and Herbert Ashe's English friendship (perhaps a slight exaggeration). His writing was a bit difficult to follow and having read it late last night I found myself nodding off at times but I still find the first story very interesting in its use of created civilizations that contradict normal thought and customs. As Nicole said some of his comments have a certain humor about them but are still outrageous enough that they require one to think them over. His writing will take some getting used to but I anticipate his style will become more familiar as time goes on.

1 comment:

  1. "having read it late last night"

    Do you mean early in the morning? Why were you up at four in the morning?

    Anyways, it looks like a lot of us just had to sit down and think about some of his ideas, which is impressive in a writer because I've never had to do that with one. For a writer of fiction, or even philosphy, ideas that make me sit down and think about it just so I can understand is an experience that only one other author has ever given to me.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.