I remember watching this a few months ago on Comedy Central and thinking "wow this guy really knows me". However after finishing Eating Animals it's funny to look back at it again and see the way that many people view vegetarianism. John Pinette is a huge meat lover and represents the majority of America. While I still find him very funny, there is a piece of his comedy that is lost to me now. People say that all good comedy has to have some element of truth to it. A few months ago I not only laughed but praised him for knowing just the way that I felt about salad. Now, I find it hard to relate to what he's saying since I know all of the harmful effects that meat eating has on our health, environment, and animal welfare. While I may not have been spontaneously converted into a vegetarian by reading Eating Animals, I can say with certainty that it has had a profound effect on me. I plan to try to limit my meat consumption as well as buy meat that has been produced by non-factory farmers. I know that Whole Foods was mentioned and blogged about recently so perhaps that's where I'll start my search for new brands of meat. I believe what JSF wanted when he wrote this was to cause some small change in the way people look at what they eat that can lead to a better, more humane standard of living for everyone. In my case, he has succeeded.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.