Monday, December 5, 2011

Reflectingg

Now having finished the book I wish I could say I was going to stay with vegetarianism. Although I was grossed out and felt bad many times throughout the novel I don't think I can go another day without a cheeseburger. I am however, going to try and eat meat less. Maybe do as Ms. Schieffelin and go vege during the week. I'm not quite sure yet but I have to find the lifestyle that is right for me and personally that is not vegetarian. I understand and respect the values vegetarianism brings but I don't have it in me to keep it up. However, eating less I believe is also doing my part. Throughout the whole book I never thought JSF was trying to make the whole world vegetarian, I believe hes a realist. However, I do believe he wanted to make people think a little more about what they're eating and maybe on certain circumstances simply refrain.

3 comments:

  1. I had the same thoughts as I finished the book. Above all, I think JSF's goal in writing the book was to make people aware, to show them that they had a conscience choice to make when eating meat. Right now I am vegetarian, and although I don't know how long it will last, I do know that if I ever decide to eat meat again I will be extremely picky about where it comes from. The animal abuse is an obvious problem, and was very shocking, but to me the most shocking thing was how the animals were genetically mutated and affected our health as well. Therefore, even if I do decide to ever eat meat again, it will not be factory farmed meat. JSF succeeded in making me aware about what goes into my food, and I think he accomplished his goal of making us remember about our choice and the consequences as opposed to forgetting about the animals. I certainly won't forget this book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not going to lie, I plan on keeping this whole vegetarian thing going for as long as I possibly can, ideally forever. Granted, like JSF said, there will be some instances where I will eat meat, but I can honestly say that it has been a month, and I don't miss it at all. Not eating meat actually makes me happier, because every time I sit down to eat, I consciously make the choice not to eat meat, and I continue to support my decision. I'm finding that I really do enjoy eating even more now that I have to think about it and I eat what I believe is right (also, I now love tofu!). Overall, I do believe that this book has had a huge impact on me, and really pushed me in the right direction in regards to eating consciously, and doing what I can to help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think JSF's goal was to make his readers turn into vegetarians. He just wants us all to see that we can make a difference, and, like Anna said, recognize that we have a choice. It is hard to look at meat now and not see an animal, but all of us, whether we want to be vegetarians or not, have taken a first step. We have opened ourselves to knowledge about eating animals and, specifically, to factory farming.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.