Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Whole Foods

I agree with Becca and Zoe in the previous post/comment in that this book makes me feel guilty about eating meat, but not guilty enough to stop. The graphic parts of this book horrified me, but I still feel a certain detachment from the meat I eat. I think what will change in my diet is that when the meat doesn't completely appeal to me (for example, I never really liked the Philly Cheese Steaks that KO makes, but I usually ate it anyways, because that was lunch) I won't eat it. Instead of eating the Philly Cheese Steak that I only somewhat like, I might as well make a healthier, more humane decision. But, I do love plenty of meat dishes, and that probably wont change.

JSF mentions improvements in the last couple of years on the bottom of page 251, and that he mentions Whole Foods caught my eye. We go there frequently enough, and it seems like they have alternative meat. Naturally, I was a little skeptical after learning that "organic" and "free-range" mean nothing, so I decided to look it up, because I would feel better eating meat I knew was from a more reliable source (not that I will necessarily boycott all other meat--I guess I'm one of those people who "finds in this book encouragement to by some meat from alternative sources while buying factory farm meat as well," even though JSF makes it clear that that was not his intention.).

Anyways, here is Whole Food's policy on their meat. Before I completely believe:
We still do meat and poultry the old-fashioned way, when people cared where their meat came from, how it was raised and how it was processed. No worries about animal byproducts or antibiotics in the animal's feed or added hormones or, if you're buying prepackaged meat, no worries about carbon monoxide in the packaging, a deceptive technique that keeps meat red and fresh-looking even when it's weeks old.
I'd like to see names of the actual farms and slaughterhouses and information saying they are alternative and these are not false claims. But, it's better than nothing, I guess.

2 comments:

  1. I think this book is at least making us all a little more skeptical about labels, and I think that was part of JSF's goals. We can't trust what we read, because most labels mean absolutely nothing. Didn't JSF mention Whole Foods in the last part of "Storytelling"? I don't have my book with me, but I think he says that they are the only chain that "claims" to sell humanely raised meat or something. I found the word "claims" to be interesting, because maybe that means that JSF is skeptical about the Whole Foods label too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Whole Foods label definitely caught my eye in the book as well. I really enjoy Whole Foods and I eat there often. I hope that this label isn't decieving because I would feel much better about eating meat if I knew that the animals I eat were treated humanely. I plan on eating from Whole Foods more often now, as well.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.