Wednesday, December 7, 2011

I Don't Really Know

... if a) this will post or b) if I'm going to give up meat. I usually eat one meat-related thing maximum per day, and most of the time it's turkey (though last year it was ham). I feel guilty, and disgusted, and enlightened all at the same time after finishing EA. I have firmly resolved to try to stop eating chicken based on the lack of proper enforcement of health guidelines (seriously, I get sick enough as it is), and am considering doing the same with turkey, ham, and beef. Fish I don't often eat because I've only recently learned to like it, and I knew from personal experience how the fish literally flip out when you pull them out of the ocean. My grandfather and my dad would take the fish away after we'd caught it and put it in a bucket, and I presume they killed it in a relatively painless manner (I vaguely remember them cutting the spinal nerve one time when they tried to get me to gut it). But still, I'd see the fish spasming and shaking and rolling it's eyes like horses do when they're terrified out of their minds, and I'd know that it was alive and had feelings.
Getting back on topic...what little guidline exists in this post since I'm extremely exhausted (see what I did there?)... I just don't know right now what I'm going to do. Like JSF said in one of the interviews: opinions change day to day, hour to hour. I have gone vegetarian in the past on my Youth Group's pilgrimage to Scotland, but the food there was almost completely grown and prepared on site so not only did it taste fabulous, you actually took part in preparing it. Also, it was so good that by Day 3 I didn't even notice that there wasn't meat! Though I still refuse to eat broccoli (nasty little tree things...I'm sorry did I type that?) that trip and many others have opened me up to not only new vegetarian foods, but also different cultures and food styles.
And isn't that really the point of EA? To make connections and make you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.