If you don't feel like watching the entire thing, the part I am talking about begins at about 7 minutes 10 seconds. I find him funny though so if you'd like to watch the entire thing let me know what you think (he is definitely a conversation starter with all of the new information we have to talk about).
"I think we ought to read only the kind of books that wound and stab us. If the book we are reading doesn't wake us up with a blow on the head, what are we reading it for? ...we need the books that affect us like a disaster, that grieve us deeply, like the death of someone we loved more than ourselves, like being banished into forests far from everyone, like a suicide. A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us." -Kafka
Wednesday, December 7, 2011
Pinette Gives Up Lamb
So I continued watching the that John Pinette stand up special as I was doing math homework and I came across this other section that I found interesting (rather than simply comical again). In this section, Pinette talks about holding onto a live lamb and knowing that he would never eat lamb again. For a man with such an enthusiasm for food it is surprising that he would completely cut lamb out of his diet just by having seen the lamb. This reminded me of when Foer talked about people's inability to recognize the food on their plate or on the store counter as an animal. There is a certain emotional and mental disconnection that we have when we're looking at the piece of meat rather than the animal. Just seeing the animal he was consuming led John to give up one of his favorite foods (the fact that he has many favorite foods is irrelevant). Also, it appears as though his friends farm is not a factory farm since they have multiple types of animals living there. I wonder what John would think if he saw a factory farm or even just read this book. I wonder if then he'd go on that all-salad diet from the first clip.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.