Sunday, December 18, 2011

Midnight in Paris

I hope everyone's enjoying their break so far. I went to New York today, saw this…

...and got very excited.

Also, in class the other day I brought up the Woody Allen movie, Midnight in Paris, during our harkness and said it reminded me of Cinnamon Shops. I love that movie and recommend it to everyone. I've posted a short clip from the movie below (the trailer didn't show any of the good parts). It's about a guy who walks around Paris at night looking for inspiration for his writing and gets picked up in cars by people who take him to places all around the city where he talks to people like Hemingway, F. Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald, Dali, and Gertrude Stein, among others. The clip below is of the main character, Gil, played by Owen Wilson, meeting Hemingway for the first time. (The man on his left is Fitzgerald.) Not only does the movie show all these great writers and artists, it's the best representation of Paris I've seen in a movie. Like in Cinnamon Shops, the main character wanders around the city and gets lost at night. Strange things happen to him and he doesn't know what's a dream and what isn't. In the movie, Gil wakes up the next morning and tries to explain what happened to him to his fiancee (Rachel McAdams), who doesn't believe him. As I'm writing this I'm thinking the two might not be as similar as I thought before, but it's a good movie nonetheless and everyone should watch it. It comes out on DVD in two days. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.