"I think we ought to read only the kind of books that wound and stab us. If the book we are reading doesn't wake us up with a blow on the head, what are we reading it for? ...we need the books that affect us like a disaster, that grieve us deeply, like the death of someone we loved more than ourselves, like being banished into forests far from everyone, like a suicide. A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us." -Kafka
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I've read a few criticisms like this, all talking about how JSF is gimicky and trying to be heavy handed and playing at the readers heartstrings. I think there could be some truth to that, but it also could be totally untrue. I'd have to wait and talk to him to make up my mind.
ReplyDeleteOn a side note, I'm going to have to convince my family to buy those new Haggadahs...
ReplyDeleteHe's got some good and bad stuff in there. I think he completely missed the point of the pictures in ELIC, but I think that he's absolutely right about Foer having a rather negative worldview in his literature. It's all tragedy. And I think, having been away from his writing so long, I can look and see what he means about Foer being this Guru figure. I was really caught up in his writing and what he had to say that it personally offended me when he broke the trust I had in him with his bias in Eating Animals. That's... an excessive amount of influence, for better of for worse.
ReplyDelete