"I think we ought to read only the kind of books that wound and stab us. If the book we are reading doesn't wake us up with a blow on the head, what are we reading it for? ...we need the books that affect us like a disaster, that grieve us deeply, like the death of someone we loved more than ourselves, like being banished into forests far from everyone, like a suicide. A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us." -Kafka
Tuesday, October 25, 2011
connectionsss
While I was doing tonights reading I came across a passage that was so similar to Everything is Illuminated, I could have sworn I had accidentally switched books. On page 91 when Oskar is talking to Abby Black I felt quite a bit of Lista in Abby and quite a bit of Alex in Oskar. When Abby answered no to Oskar's question of knowing Thomas Schell, Oskar says "There was something unsure about the way she said she was sure, which made me think that maybe she was keeping some sort of secret from me" (Foer 91). This reminded me soooo much of when Alex was asking Lista if she knew Augustine and she said no. In both cases the asker is finding another meaning to the word no and sensing a hidden message in the denial. Both askers continue to as the same question even after the answer is no. Although Lista eventually gives in while Abby does not I still saw quite a parallel between the two scenarios. Just thought it was a cool connection and I'd share!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.