"I think we ought to read only the kind of books that wound and stab us. If the book we are reading doesn't wake us up with a blow on the head, what are we reading it for? ...we need the books that affect us like a disaster, that grieve us deeply, like the death of someone we loved more than ourselves, like being banished into forests far from everyone, like a suicide. A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us." -Kafka
Wednesday, October 12, 2011
The Truman Show
Today in class we talked a little about whether or not Safran's life is scripted (talking about the part from pg. 172-177). It made me think of the movie The Truman Show. In the movie, Jim Carrey, Truman, is the only real person in a town full of actors, literally. From the day he was born his life has been filmed as a TV show, and he doesn't know it. The producers of the show can control what happens in Truman's life. They can control who he meets, what the weather is like, how much money he makes, etc. As the movie goes on, Truman starts to realize strange things happening (for example, a giant stage light dropping from the sky). I would recommend this movie. I don't think the trailer really does it justice, but I've posted it below anyway.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.