Monday, October 17, 2011

One More Thing

At the very end of the book, JSF includes a section from The Book of Recurrent Dreams. The only section that survived after Trachimbrod was attacked by the Nazis was "The dream of the end of the world." For some reason I thought of Borges and Calvino when I read this. It's almost like JSF was describing a city like in Invisible Cities. When JSF writes, "I was invisible under them I was the carcass they were the butterflies." The fact that JSF writes this in the perspective of the Brod River is SO COOL. As weird as it sounds, I pictured a dead body decomposing. The Brod is the dead body, and all of the bodies floating in it are the bugs. I also think that this section says something about life, going back to the idea that JSF has such a talent describing things that we as humans all feel. The citizens of Trachimbrod all dive into the Brod, but end up killing each other by doing so. Would they all have been killed by the Nazis if they hadn't done this? It's like human nature. Sometimes, in trying to do good, the only thing that results is bad. I found this very interesting. I had to comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.