Friday, October 14, 2011

Intertextuality in Kill Bill, or Tarantino is the Man

Everything Is A Remix: KILL BILL from robgwilson.com on Vimeo.

1 comment:

  1. I thought this was so cool! I feel like the whole movie is just his favorite parts of other movies, but he integrated those parts into his own film in a clever way. I never would've been able to pick up on all the similarities on my own. I find a lot of stuff like this in songs I listen to. I can see where artists use parts of songs that were already written. The first example I can think of is how in the song "Leavin'" by Jesse McCartney, he says, "Don't stress, don't stress, don't stress. Just tell him to the left left left. " The reason he says "To the left" is because in the song "Irreplaceable" by Beyonce, which was writ ten several years before, she says "To the left, to the left. Everything you own in a box to the left." She's telling the guy in the song to pack up his stuff and leave, and Jesse McCartney is telling the girl in the song to tell her boyfriend to pack up and leave. He's telling the girl he likes to tell her boyfriend "to the left, to the left." I hope this makes sense. I was so excited when I figured out that connection, and I think that's kind of what we were talking about today with intertextuality.

    Ms. Schieffelin, you said the guy who made this video also has another one that shows similarities between a Led Zeppelin song and a blues riff. Where's that video? I really want to see it, but can't find it on the website.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.