Sunday, October 9, 2011

New side to Safran

In reading this last section about Safran's sex-capades I couldn't help but find myself a little caught off guard. As I learned about more and more of Safran's women I kept think how I did not see it coming. Maybe one or two on the side lovers but not 68! Most of which were before puberty when he was only 10! I thought, although it was written in a kind of light way, this section was really sad. I feel bad that Safran has never loved and I hate the women who are using him. Then again I hate Safran for taking advantage of these women and I feel bad for these women who are in pain. I can't really make up my mind about who is at fault in these affairs. Is it the women or is it Safran? I don't really know if anyone can be given all the blame because there are so many factors and emotions going into these affairs; they are nowhere near black and white there is quite a bit of grey.
Just thought I'd share.
Thanks, Mary.

4 comments:

  1. When I read this section, I see it more as the women taking advantage of Safran. His dead arm is the main thing that draws them to him, and it seems like they don't really see him as a person. He's kind of a blank slate that they use sexually and emotionally (they pour all of their issues into him), and he just stands there. We never see any emotion from him in relation to any of the affairs; he's not really a part of them. He's just a prop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do feel for Safran because the women are using him. However, he is also using them to an extent. In the theater, he puts his dead arm close to the gypsy so that she will see it, feel sorry for him, and want to have sex with him. At this point, I think he knows he can use the fact that he is crippled for sexual experience. After all, it has worked for him. Maybe Safran and the women are at fault.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also think they're both at fault. The older women may be using Safran, but he brings it on himself. He never even tries to stop seeing them. And as for the younger women, he's using them much more than they're using him. I also agree with Nicole when she says that he's sort of a blank slate. Yet even though he doesn't show any emotion, he's still at fault for encouraging them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you all. I think at the beginning it's the women taking advantage of Safran, but as he gets older he learns how his having a dead arm affects women, so he takes advantage of them. But is anyone taking advantage of anyone if they're both taking advantage of each other?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.