"I think we ought to read only the kind of books that wound and stab us. If the book we are reading doesn't wake us up with a blow on the head, what are we reading it for? ...we need the books that affect us like a disaster, that grieve us deeply, like the death of someone we loved more than ourselves, like being banished into forests far from everyone, like a suicide. A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us."
-Kafka
Wednesday, October 19, 2011
spoken word poetry
i'm currently obsessed with spoken word poetry, and i found one about keys…thought it could help us get in the mood for ELIC!
I love Taylor Mali--great find! I had the chance to hear him read last year at Porter's. He's even more captivating in person.
ReplyDeleteAnd, if you're interested in hearing him read, he and another poet are performing at St. Joe's Oct. 29th.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.hillstead.org/activities/calendar.html#mali