I couldn't find a normal music video for this song, but this one has lyrics. They swoop in across the screen sometimes and disappear in the middle which can get annoying, but at the end, the lyrics fade away and the tempo slows. The images in the background also repeat when the lyrics repeat which, I think, shows the progress of life. Duncan Sheik pronounces every word (he mostly says I am instead of I'm) which makes the song simple and slow although it does build to a crescendo.
"I think we ought to read only the kind of books that wound and stab us. If the book we are reading doesn't wake us up with a blow on the head, what are we reading it for? ...we need the books that affect us like a disaster, that grieve us deeply, like the death of someone we loved more than ourselves, like being banished into forests far from everyone, like a suicide. A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us." -Kafka
Sunday, October 23, 2011
Half-life
When I remembered I had this song, I knew I had to post it. Half-life comes from the sound-track of the movie, What A Girl Wants. I'm pretty sure this song plays when the couple breaks up and the actor, who is in London, is filmed looking into the ocean from a bridge. The actress, who is in NYC, is filmed sitting on a street corner. This song reminds me of this moment when two people who are meant to be together are on opposite sides of the world and are sad and confused about what to do next. Looking at the lyrics illuminates the fact that there is hope (for this couple and for "Joe"). Ignore the random picture of Gerard Butler who isn't even the actor in this movie.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.