As I was writing my paper I came across Brod’s 613 sadnesses. This number reminded me of the 613 Mitzvahs (commandments) in the Jewish religion. Is it a coincidence that the numbers are the same? I think that it is ironic that Brod has a sadness for each commandment. Doing the Mitzvahs is supposed to be a Jewish celebration of God’s existence; turning them to 613 sadnesses is a dark inverse, a kind of symbolic doppleganger.
"I think we ought to read only the kind of books that wound and stab us. If the book we are reading doesn't wake us up with a blow on the head, what are we reading it for? ...we need the books that affect us like a disaster, that grieve us deeply, like the death of someone we loved more than ourselves, like being banished into forests far from everyone, like a suicide. A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us." -Kafka
Sunday, November 13, 2011
613 Sadnesses
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm guessing that it isn't a coincidence seeing as JSF wrote a lot that connected to Judaism. That is a really interesting connection!
ReplyDeleteSam, this is a great connection to make. I agree with Carolyn in that the numbers being the same is no coincidence. 613 is a central number in Judaism, and this goes along well with other Jewish things Foer has brought up/discussed. By having Brod's sadnesses be 613, is Foer attempting to suggest that Brod is a godlike figure of Trachimbrod? The 613 sadnesses could be an interesting topic to bring up with him when he meet him.
ReplyDeleteThis is such a cool connection to make. Possibly it has to do with the fact that the Jewish community was destroyed in Trachimbrod. Their deaths caused the sadnesses for all the people of in Trachimbrod and I think it cuased far more than 613 sadnesses.
ReplyDelete