Sunday, November 27, 2011

Family Glossary Terms

"You'll freeze your ribbers" - Apparently when I was about three or four years old, I would always exclaim, "You'll freeze your ribbers" whenever it was very cold. My parents always tried to get me to explain what "ribbers" actually are, but to this day it remains a mystery. Now, whenever it's really cold outside, my parents will say "you'll freeze your ribbers!" During the power outage, our house temperature dropped to 40 degrees, so the phrase was especially popular during that week!

"nightgammon" - This is how my brother, Ben, used to say nightgown when he was young. I think it might be because my family used to play a lot of backgammon, and maybe he blended the two words. Whatever the reason, the term has stuck. My family still refers to nightgowns as "nightgammons" today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.