
Here's the link-this seems to be a decent english translation (a couple typos).
I decided to post it here with a couple of my connections so that everyone who would like to can read it if they want over break. It's pretty short, probably about the same length, maybe a little longer than "A Crossbreed."
We read this story in Spanish last year and compared Cortázar to Borges--I think you'll all see a lot of similarities.
It relates very well to Eating Animals and our discussions so far:
- The guard tells the man he's eating the axlotl with his eyes, but the man says that the axlotl were actually eating him.
- We talked about how much we project onto animals, and this man "was projecting a nonexistent consciousness upon the axlotls"
- The man and the axlotl are clearly worlds different (see picture below), but they are actually very similar. Read the story to see just how similar they actually are :)
It's similar to the sympathies and the relationship to the Lambcat in "A Crossbreed"
It even mentions a couple times a metamorphasis (Kafka!)
I'm sure other people will be able to make plenty more connections.
Hope you enjoy!
Wow. The connections abound. I'm so glad you posted this story. What connections can others make?
ReplyDeleteWhen the narrator describes the appearance of the axolotl, I noticed that he used "THE eye", "THE mouth", ect. Saying "the" and not even using "its" makes it so that the animal doesn't really have ownership of the parts of its body; they are just appendages that make it up.
ReplyDeleteThis seems so similar to "A Crossbreed"...were the two authors contemporaries? or would one have read the other?