Friday, November 25, 2011

"You're probably wondering why I called you here today" - this is a phrase that is said by my dad at every meal without fail. It is an independent phrase that really doesn't require any response or even acknowledgement. It is simply a phrase that he states at the beginning of every meal that greatly annoys most of the family. It sort of lets everyone know you may begin to eat, sort of is equivelent to "lets eat." I don't know how this nightly tradition began or even why but is has been a constant in my life for as long as I can remember.
Edamine - the way my family pronounces edammame. Not until I went to a sushi restaurant with my friends did I find out I and my whole family had been pronouncing the vegetable from for my entire life. My mother still refuses to pronounce it the politically correct way.
Poppie - the name for my grandpa on my dad's side. All the grandchildren call him by this name.
Gamma - the name for my grandma on my dad's side. All the grandchildren call her by this name
Thanksgiving - a day that means it is finally acceptable to decorate and prepare for christmas. My family is not really thanksgiving people; however, we are without argument Christmas people. Thanksgiving in our minds is more the day when we can finish decorating (and yes I mean finish decorating because we begin in mid-November) for Christmas and turn on our already set up lights outdoors.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.