Thursday, November 10, 2011

JSF's similarities to Oskar

I just thought this was interesting!

Where does the character of Oskar come from? Were you at all like him? Are you still?

My parents have a photograph of me on their refrigerator. I'm about six years old, asleep on the sofa, wearing a plaid blazer, a blue sequined bowtie, and rings on each of my ten fingers. Apparently, the look was indicative of my sense of fashion for about a year. That photograph was one of my major sources of inspiration for Oskar. As for how much I actually was like him, it's hard to say. Like most children, I had a number of collections. And I suppose my interests tended toward the esoteric, and my style toward the precocious and annoying. I sent my share of fan letters, suffered numerous failed attempts to kiss women my mother's age, and did work in the family jewelry business for a summer . . . Am I still like that? Fortunately, or unfortunately, most of Oskar has been civilized out of me.

http://www.hmhbooks.com/booksellers/press_release/extremelyloud/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.