"I think we ought to read only the kind of books that wound and stab us. If the book we are reading doesn't wake us up with a blow on the head, what are we reading it for? ...we need the books that affect us like a disaster, that grieve us deeply, like the death of someone we loved more than ourselves, like being banished into forests far from everyone, like a suicide. A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us." -Kafka
Wednesday, November 16, 2011
War Scenes
For my paper I am looking at how the two grandfathers in both books illuminate each other, and in my search for quotes I came across the two war scenes. When reading them side by side- Thomas's letter to his son and Eli's account of Herschel's death- there are a lot of little connections I found pretty cool. From my research it seems true that the two grandfathers did survive the same war: WWII, and the attacks on their homes happened three years apart. In 1942, the town of Kolki was attacked and held by the Germans until the Red Army liberated it in 1944. The bombing of Dresden occurred only three years later in 1945, as the Allies bombed the German city of Dresden. Also, the progression of the two events for each grandfather was similar: at first they doubted the danger of the attacks, then as the chaos began they both thought to the women they loved (both named Anna). There are more little, random connections, but just thought I'd share these major ones!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.