Let there be light!- This is a phrase constantly used when with my mom's side of the family. It comes from the story of Creation and how on the 2nd day (or whichever, I have no idea) God said "Let there be light!" Whenever anyone turns a light on, someone will say "Let there be light!" Just a few weeks ago I was in Florida with this whole extended bunch and we were all sitting in the den without the lights on. Uncle Sid got up and walked into the kitchen for a moment. J.D. then walked into the den and turned on the light. The first thing he said was "Let there be light!" Uncle Sid came back a minute later and, noticing that the lights had been turned on, repeated the expression. I think it was around the 5th time I'd heard it just that day. Most of my family is not really religious (with a few exceptions), but we do have plenty of Jewish jokes/wisecracks that are repeated a little too often. This is one of them.
"I think we ought to read only the kind of books that wound and stab us. If the book we are reading doesn't wake us up with a blow on the head, what are we reading it for? ...we need the books that affect us like a disaster, that grieve us deeply, like the death of someone we loved more than ourselves, like being banished into forests far from everyone, like a suicide. A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us." -Kafka
Sunday, November 27, 2011
Family words
Knucklehead- This is a phrase my grandfather (on my father's side) uses frequently. It can take on two different meanings. Half the time, he uses knucklehead when he disagrees with a person. He usually mutters it under his breath, but loud enough that everyone hears it. For example, he uses it when we discuss a politician he doesn't like. Or, when he (a huge Yankee fan) is watching a baseball game and a player makes a mistake. I don't follow the baseball season closely, so when I see him I often ask: "How are the Yanks doing so far?" He always tells me that their pitching is lousy and refers to whoever ruined their last game as a knucklehead. On the other hand, my grandfather sometimes uses this word to talk about our immediate family. When someone's asked a silly question, or asked for something he finds unnecessary, he affectionately calls that person is a knucklehead. We can easily tell though, based on his tone, whether he's being affectionate or not.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.