"Y'all 'mon back" So as I mentioned before, my mother's side of the family lives in Florida, and they all speak with very thick Southern accents. "Y'all 'mon back" (Translation: you all come on back!) is heard frequently when my family is leaving after a visit.
"I think we ought to read only the kind of books that wound and stab us. If the book we are reading doesn't wake us up with a blow on the head, what are we reading it for? ...we need the books that affect us like a disaster, that grieve us deeply, like the death of someone we loved more than ourselves, like being banished into forests far from everyone, like a suicide. A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us." -Kafka
Saturday, November 26, 2011
Family Jokes/Language
"Anna, you finally decided to grow some hair!" Every Thanksgiving when my family and I fly down to Florida to visit with my mother's family, I see my Uncle Richard (who is really my great uncle), and when he sees me he says, "Well Anna, I'm glad you decided to grow some hair!" When I was a baby/toddler, he would come visit my family and I in Europe. I was bald until I was about two or three, so this is an ongoing joke that we have because, I did finally grow some hair.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.